Outdoor Family Activities
Backhouse at Rossie Estate has a wonderful variety of activities for the whole family. Here is a quick look at what there is to do:
- A Walk Through History at Rossie Estate discover fascinating facts, explore ancient worlds and find out about the Loch that disappeared.
- Country house garden and grounds Family outdoor activities in 9 hole putting green on the lawn, short walk to an evergreen Laurel and Yew grotto with a ‘can you find’ quiz. Woodland Walk in refreshing dappled shade to Covenanters tomb dating from the 1600’s. Walled Garden – Take a Glimpse into the historic potting shed and see what working life was like for the junior gardeners who started their career as young boys. Cafe menu includes children’s options
- Living Heritage with many Backhouse introduced plants.
- Backhouse Heritage Daffodils awarded national Collection status
- RHS Partner Garden
- Backhouse Centre Scree and Rock Garden
- Historic Walled Garden
- Delightful Old Potting Shed with old tools & terracotta clay pots
- Rare plants
- Garden Sculptures in designed garden
- Mary Queen of Scots connection
- Ruined Covenanters Tomb
- Woodland Walk
- Champion trees
- Former Rossie Loch and the impact of the Agricultural Revolution
- Renewables and recyclables
- Backhouse Café at Rossie Estate
- Information area – with histories of some of the people who lived on the estate – we are always interested in hearing your stories about Rossie House, it’s home farm, life and work on the estate grounds.