We have a host of seasonal events happening during our open season
- Spring interest – Backhouse Heritage Daffodils, large selection of heritage daffodils, bulbs and woodland walk, water feature, grass labyrinth and Scree & Rock Garden.
- Summer interest – scented roses, herb potager, herbaceous borders, ferns, heathers, glasshouse, water feature grass labyrinth alliums.
- Autumn interest – fruit harvest, nerines, late herbaceous plants, heathers, ferns water feature grass labyrinth.
- Winter interest – see our champion trees and autumn colour woodland walk.
Events by month
Every month there is an edible plant featured in the café and a seasonal dish/drink on the blackboard.
- National Daffodil Collection – MUST see we open 1st April
- Easter Weekend – Scotland’s Daffodil Festival (Debut) 2017 15th & 16th George Anderson MBE Beechgorve Garden presenter, Guest judge will cut the ribbon to open Scotland’s first National Daffodil Festival.
- April 15th Daffodil Festival opens 10am, SGS Charity afternoon 2-5pm Sun. April 16th Daffodil Festival 10am – 4pm.
- Bring and Show daffodils from your garden, you may win a prize, separate children’s class. exhibits to be set up Friday 14th 3 – 6pm registration free and to be received by 11th April 2017.
- Find out more about the Quaker Backhouse botanists and the family daffodil raisers in The Backhouse Heritage Exhibition and Education Centre.
- Woodlandwalk to ruined Covenanter’s tomb, Walled Garden, National Collection of Narcissus (Daffodils) Backhouse cultivars
- Family Activities
- Egg Hunt with children’s quiz, every participant receives a chocolate egg (£1 supplement to entry ticket)
- Putting on the lawn
- Secret evergreen grotto walk.
- Local Artisan Stall holders